DIY Valentine Collage Tray - a lifetime of love and encouragement

Working on a Valentine's Gift for my mom and thought I'd share this Valentine Collage Tray
My mom has always been my "number one cheerleader" and I wanted to let her know that I appreciate her lifetime of love and encouragement, not just to me, but to everyone she meets.


A few ideas of Materials to Use for Collages

Paper: Scrapbook, Wrapping, etc.
Embellishments: Buttons, Flowers, Ribbon, String, Metal
Letters: Cut out using scissors or a Cricut or Silhouette 
Favorite Quotes
Stamps, Punches, Stickles
Greeting Cards/Magazines
Photos: Scan your favorite photos and include them. 
Converting them to black and white also adds a special touch.

There are really no rules - just pick stuff you like and can glue down.

Start with a Tray
I used a 12x12 one from 7Gypsies
 You can use old shadowboxes, or anything with dividers.


Decide on Your Colors
Pick 3 or 4 colors to use for the piece. 


Measure and Cut Background Paper
Cut several of each color and then play with the layout.


Start Making the Collages
I find it easier if I don't overthink it. 
Let it come organically - just focus on one box at a time and create a little collage
 that depicts a feeling you want to share. Keep adding layers and 
embellishments until you like the look and then move onto the next.
 



 Don't glue the individual collages into the tray until the end.
(that way you can move them around if you need to for the overall look)

 

I shaded the edge of each piece with black ink to give it a more cohesive look. 
Also used pop-ups/mounting squares to add dimension on a few pieces. 


When you've laid them out in a pattern that you like, start the gluing. 
(I moved mine around quite a bit until I got the look I wanted.)
I used general tacky glue and pressed them down firmly.


Happy Valentine's Day!
Love, Steph