Win Your Closet Organizing Battle in just 6 Steps (no matter what type of closet)


                           Turn this...................................................................... into this
 

I've always found it fun to to change out my decor each month. 
So I really loved that my new house had a very large hall closet to store all things decorating.
However, it has since morphed into a catch all for everything - all piled on top of each other.
If I ever needed anything, I usually knocked over several other things in the process.

I want to share with you my general plan for organizing closets. This example is for a hall closet, but the steps will work for any closet or storage area. 

Measure the closet and sketch out a general plan for where you'd like things to go. Think about how often you use things and put the regularly used items in a central easy-to-get-to place. Once I did this, then I bought storage bins.
It's important to purchase the storage items you want AFTER you've measured and figured out what will work best for your closet. Don't buy storage first, even if it's super cute. (I know this is sooo hard)

I ended up purchasing these Modular Drawers. I got Medium Tall, but there are all sorts of
sizes to fit your needs. You can get them on Amazon, Ebay, etc.


I only bought a few (haha).


Empty out Everything.
(This is a much easier method than trying to move things around)
Sort everything into categories (holidays, type of decor, etc.) 
This is also a great time to weed out anything you don't love.
 


Play around with the layout a bit. This part will take the longest as you move things around to get the most out of the space. Start putting your sorted items into bins.

Then label the bins.  
(If you can't quite decide what to label things, just use post it notes until you like the categories.) 
Let me tell you about a FABULOUS website called Canva that allows you to create all sorts of forms and graphics and labels for free. They also have graphics you can buy for only $1.
 I went in and found a cute label, typed up my titles, downloaded it,
printed them on my Full Sheet Labels and then cut them out.
Love, Love, Love this site.



Label all the bins.





Action Steps

Measure & Sketch out Plan
Empty
Sort & Organize
Discard
Put in Bins, etc
Label


Happy Organizing!
Love, Steph


Follow me on Pinterest for lots of organizing and creative ideas.