DIY File Cabinet - Upcycle a Thrift Store Find

I love to explore second hand stores, thrift shops, St Vinnies, Salvation Army, etc.  Sometimes you find an amazing bargain and sometimes....

I found a file cabinet for my office and it was only $7.19 (used my mom's senior discount). Crammed it into the car, lugged it home and got myself a few cans of spray paint. I chose a textured paint to give it a stone finish in a chocolate color. I prepped and sanded and primed and got started. (I really appreciated the Spray Grip I got at Home Depot - made the spraying more even and saved my tired hands).



2 cans + 2 more + 6 more finally did the job - back and forth to the store a few times. So the $7 bargain cost just a LITTLE bit more. Decided I wanted to add some dimension to the front. Found a couple frames at the Dollar Store and used some of the adhesive Fabric Paper left over from another project.

Spray painted the frames to match the file cabinet.

 

Covered the cardboard insert in the frame with the fabric paper.


Glued the frame to the file cabinet. Used both E6000 and Loctite Glue just to make sure. Also used a level to make sure it was straight.




Even though it cost a bit more than I anticipated, I love how it matches the office. It's definitely a one of a kind piece (haha).